[Public-List] Bronze Casting recommendation

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Tue Jul 17 12:33:34 PDT 2012

Hello all,

Great dialog so far. I enjoy reading everyone's comments and ideas. Seems like we have reached a consensus to go forward, with or without the two associations support.

Peter has offered twice to make the molds for the castings, but needs the dimensions of the grudgon and shoe, or an existing part to work with. I dont know why, but no one has responded positively to him as I recall,,, and I speculate he is a bit hesitant to say more without some positive consensus.

So, Peter, I for one would be happy to see you cast the shoe and grudgons. How about laying out an overall estimated cost for your time and materials, what ever it may be, so we all know what the ball park range is, and then move forward finalizing orders and doing the work.

Even though sounds like each piece is individually cast, certainly there is an economy of scale in preparing the mold and laying up the casting process. If Peter does the work, he could keep the mold in his possession and someone could put a linkk on the web site with his contact info for future castings.

I like Michaels idea of making a more robust grudgeon replacement, in part because it offers an opportunity to correct some inherent weakness in the original design and also, I am guessing all the boats have a variety of drilled, broken off, corroded, embedded and filled screw holes in the keel where the original fittings have resided lo these many years. A beefier design, could allow a secure installation that works around all the crud that is undoubtedly imbedded in many keels. SOMEONE NEEDS TO PROVIDE SOME MEASUREMENTS FOR THE GRUDGON. Is anyone contemplating a haul out where they could make a drawing and forward to Peter and Micahel? Or is there an alberg up on the beach somewhere undergoing refit somewhere where we could get the dimensions????

If so, we could move forward and have a great 50th anniversary project.

Cheer's

Glenn
Dolce 318