[Public-List] Hello from Vancouver. (Somewhat) proud new owner of Antares 1967 A30.

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 21:04:30 PDT 2012

4" horizontal measure, 10" vertical, actually probably 12" vertical.  its been a couple of years... You loose 3 to 4 " down off the the ends because of the camber of the cabin top, and I took 3 1/2" off the bottom center to produce an arch that I could walk under without clunking my forehead.  so it came out something like a 4 x 5" sawn beam shaped like an arch...same pattern as the original laminated oak beam, only bigger and more beefy.

you could do a similar thing by laying up a laminated arch with 1/4 x 4" mahogany/oak/fir strips and not have the wastage inherent in sawing the beam to shape.  you would want to steam and lay up the laminates in a shop, on a bench frame of some sort to get the proper radius to get the cabin top. steaming the wood would be best, but some  woods will bend cold to this radius. I doubt you can get an in place laminated beam to glue up properly,, not much room to work in the confined space of the head on one side and wet locker to port.

Laminated wood always shifts aroundwhen glued and ends up with overlapping edges, so I would make it oversize, maybe 41/2" wide and run the whole thing through a power planner to achieve desired size and  smooth surfaces all round.  Easy to do with a hand held power planer...

Glenn P.
dolce 318

Sent from my iPad