[Public-List] Hello from Vancouver. (Somewhat) proud newowner of Antares 1967 A30.

Jeremy Brown j_l_brown at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 27 08:43:43 PDT 2012

Thank you so much:)  that's going to be so valuable when it comes time to do it.
That's exactly my suspicion with the screws.

My understanding of the depression was exactly that, but the tabbing on the back is totally unbroken, and the deck has no depression.  A different surveyor and two experienced boat people looked at it.  They were puzzled by the obvious depression in the underside as the deck looks perfect on top.  One said that the way the fiberglass tape goes around the trim, and the other edges make it appear that the deck was cut out and returned inside only.
I'm worried about distorting the outside deck when I move it back into place.

Mike Lehman <sail_505 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Jeremy

The long screws through the bottom provide no support at all. Once they are
removed you may find that the delamination is more pronounced, if the screws
are holding the layers together.

An understanding of how the beam was originally constructed and why it
failed is helpful to understand how it can be repaired.

1. Whitby Boat works used the wrong kind of glue to laminate the beam. Maybe
it was the only kind available at the time the boats were manufactured. The
glue failed and the laminations separated causing the beam to lose its
strength.
2. This failure was exacerbated by the fact that Whitby also countersunk the
two center bolts that hold the deck mast plate in place by several inches in
the middle of the beam where most of the load is exerted by the mast. You
can dig the large bungs out from the underside of the beam to see just how
far these bolts were countersunk and it will reveal that the beam is only
1/2 or less as thick as it appears on the outside.
3. Further complicating the problem is that the mast does not sit directly
over the beam. Only the forward edge of the mast sits on the beam so any
pressure on the after part of the mast causes the beam to twist and the deck
to deform behind the mast. Because your beam shows signs deformity you will
notice a depression of the deck behind the mast. The deck sits directly on
the beam. When this deformation occurs the fiberglass tabbing on the
underside of the deck cracks and pulls away from the beam and the underside
of the deck. This tabbing is not structural, so any attempt to repair the
tabbing will fail without fixing the beam problem.
4. The bolts Whitby used to secure the bulkheads through the beam are 1/4"
bolts often threaded all the way to the head of the bolt. These are not
sufficient fasteners. They only provide about .19" of diameter. When you
remove the bolts you will probably find they are bent. For the repair you
should replace these bolts with 5/16" bolts (.3125" diameter) that are
threaded only on the ends. This same bolt replacement is recommended for all
of the chainplate bolts.

The repair can be accomplished in several ways...
1. remove the beam and construct/install a new beam as Glenn has suggested
2. Install aluminum (or stainless steel if you have plenty of money) sister
plates on each side of the beam. 3/8" aluminum plates are plenty strong for
the repair.

The big advantage to replacing the beam is appearance. On the boats on the
Chesapeake we have used option #2. Early attempts with only one aluminum
plate failed. The 2 plate solution has never failed or moved even in
extremely heavy weather conditions over many years.

Here are the steps for doing the aluminum repair, if that is how you choose
to proceed.

1. Remove the mast or loosen the rigging a lot.
2. Use a jack and plenty of supports on the floor to spread the load as you
jack the beam into place. Check the rigging periodically to make sure it is
loose if the mast is on.
3. Once you have firm support, remove the bolts from the beam. Do not try to
jack the beam into place all at once. Do this over several days adding
increased pressure until you have the proper curvature. It may not be
possible to get all of the deflection out. While doing this you will hear
the boat creak...this is normal.
4. Remove all of the old tabbing and clean up the beam and the underside of
the deck by sanding to remove any paint or tabbing residue.
5. Have the aluminum plates ready to install
6. clamp either the forward or rear plate in place and drill out the 1/4"
holes with a 5/16" bit and drill all the way through the aluminum. Insert a
bolt in each hole as they are drilled to prevent any movement on the plate
as you are drilling.
7. After the one plate is drilled, clamp the plate to the other side of the
beam. Remove a bolt from plate #1 and drill in the opposite direction to
drill through the second plate. Push the bolt all the way through and attach
a nut. Do this with each hole until all of the pieces are 'dry' fitted
together.
8. Remove both plates and all of the bolts. Be sure to mark each plate so
you know which side faces out away from the beam.
9. Using epoxy and fiberglass tape install all new tabbing.
10. while the tabbing is curing, etch the inside of the plates that will be
in contact with the beam with aluminum etch (I use the West System 2-part
etch).
11. Once the plates are dry, apply a liberal amount of thickened epoxy to
the beam. For this I have found that West System Six-10 epoxy in the
cartridge works the best and has superior strength. Apply a bead of epoxy
and spread evenly with a plastic spatula like the ones used by auto body
shops. Be sure to add a bit more epoxy to the areas of the beams where there
are cracks. It will require 2 tubes of six-10 epoxy.
12. install the plate on the epoxied side of the beam and insert the bolts.
Repeat the procedure for the other side.
13. Once both plates are installed tighten all the bolts to "blue-faced"
torque and follow a systematic tightening process by tightening each bolt a
little at a time. Epoxy will ooze out from around the edges of the beam.
More importantly epoxy will be forced into all of the cracks adding strength
back to the original beam.
14. clean up the excess epoxy use it to make fillets and let the hole thing
cure for 24-48 hours before removing the jack.
15. To prevent beam twist, add additional supports under the beam along the
bulkhead stiffeners. These can be seen at
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/deckbeam/repair/

Hope this helps...good luck!

Mike Lehman