[Public-List] Coamings

Greg Bover gregbover at cbfisk.com
Sun Jun 10 03:53:01 PDT 2012

I replaced my coamings last year with Honduras mahogany. I just matched the
existing pattern carefully. When it came time to fasten on the outboard
molding at the deck/coaming joint, I bent the plank over a quick form I
built with a little more than the right curve to allow for spring back. I
used West System to apply that molding and it helped maintain the bend. I
put on four coats of Epiphanes. I still had to use spring boards across the
cockpit to hold things in place when I bolted them back in, but they look
great. When I replaced the companionway trim I used the same Honduras
mahogany.
 Sapele would be too stripey to ever look like teak. I also tint my varnish
with Mohawk dye stain, 6 tbs cherry/quart, it helps my mixture of mahogany
and teak look more alike.

Greg Bover
Frances Fitch
Linnet A-30 #114