[Public-List] Reefing line question

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 09:04:09 PDT 2012

Glenn and Mike,

I wasn't suggesting a line as large as 1/2".  Many sailors use the same size line for reefing lines as for the reef points, that is 1/4". I would think 1/4" is fine for the reef points, but would suggest something like 5/16" or better 3/8" for the reefing lines themselves. I get that in light air a mess of reefing lines hanging off the leech is distracting, but they can be tidied up somewhat by trimming in. A 1/2" reefing line for our size boat is a bit much I think.

Another item, I have seen some folks use bullet blocks attached to the cringles at the clew and perhaps also the tack of the mainsail to significantly reduce the friction/drag of the reefing lines through the cringles.  I suppose anything one can use to reduce the friction of a single line making so many turns will help in the ease of reefing the main. Another option would be to use cheek or turning blocks one size larger than the line you are using. For instance use blocks designed to accept the largest line of 3/8" and then reeve them with 5/16" line. My empirical experience is that it takes less work to move a line around a larger sheave than the same line around and through a smaller sheave. Gord probably has some technical data on the physics of  this work needed vs sheave diameter.

Not to state the obvious, but............... instead of eye ball guessing where best to attach the blocks. Take the extra time to tie or tape them in various trial locations and reeve a thin line through them to determine the absolute best location in your particular application. Much better to realize that you have a fouling situation before you drill holes and make the final mounting.

Glenn, let us know what you finally decide to do and how well it works. Good luck on your Pacific sailing adventure.

Michael #133