[Public-List] going solo

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Tue Jun 5 08:35:50 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 07:46:35AM -0400, James Allocco wrote:
> I agree with George that for me an auto pilot is a must when single handing
> and get dock lines and fenders ready, etc. I would suggest jacklines and a
> harness when single handing in heavy weather.

I'd also recommend that if you're single handing with a harness,
jacklines, and an autopilot, you consider how difficult it'll be to get
back aboard if you don't have some means of making the boat stop (or
calling for help that can make the boat stop).

I have something of a history of dropping the boarding ladder, and tying
the lifering to the pushpit with the heaving line to go for a swim when
becalmed (NOT while single handing). In terms of gettign a sense that
the boat is really speeding back up and the swim should end, I've
already found myself considering it unwise to expect to be able to climb
back up the boarding ladder at speeds higher than 3/4 of a knot. Based
on that (and the fact that the original world record for men's 100m
freestyle was swum at an average speed of under 3 knots), I can't really
imagine pulling myself back aboard if the autopilot is holding a course
where the boat's making 4 knots through the water.

Whether it's a handheld radio tethered to your harness, some line rigged
up to disengage the autopilot if the jacklines are placed under enough
tension, some trailing object that you can grab to kill the autopilot,
or (ideally) some combination of the above, if you don't have a plan to
stop the boat so you can climb back on, you're probably better off not
even being tied to it in the first place.

Cheers,
Kris

--
Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/