[Public-List] Going Solo M.O.B. Drills

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Wed Jun 6 11:29:01 PDT 2012

On the Alberg 30 it is not difficult to reach the rail from the water, and the tenderness of the boat means you can reduce the freeboard further if you put some force on the rail amidships. While it may be difficult to get aboard, it's very likely that you can get hold of a line - a  jib sheet for example, and tie it around a stanchion, turnbuckle or winch. If you know the "Alpine Butterfly" knot you can make footholds in the line which greatly eases getting your hips to the level of the rail.

The general MOB strategy is of course different from the solo-sailor  strategy.
My general MOB procedure (I think about this a lot, but have only partly practiced it)
1)FIND the MOB
2) Stop the boat - exactly how depends on conditions, crew, etc.
3) Deploy the Life Sling and Maneuver it  in way of the MOB
   IF the MOB is conscious and capable
	MOB gets into Life Sling
   ELSE
	Someone with a PFD and a tether has to go in and help.
  ENDIF
4) Bring the MOB in close and secure to boat
5)  IF the MOB is not exhausted,
          Deploy the swim ladder and help MOB aboard
    ELSE
         Deploy 4:1 block and tackle from a halyard or boom end and clip to life sling and hoist
    ENDIF

I absolutely agree that this all takes TIME and the idea is to reduce the biggest risks first. To me the scariest risk is that you simply can find them! It is amazing how difficult it is to spot something low in the water on a bright windy day. Second is getting them secured to the boat and third is getting them aboard.