[Public-List] Glassed in coamings?

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Sat Jun 9 08:46:43 PDT 2012

James,

If I were you and don't want to mess up the boat but are looking for less maintenance for replacement coamings I would consider mfg them from some type of teak substitute. If you were to mfg. them exactly as the originals were made and fasten them in the same way they could be removed by her future owner, after you, if they wished to have the original teak installed. Thus you wouldn't be changing the boat so substantially that she couldn't be fairly easily returned to original.

I for one would not purchase an Alberg 30 modified as you have suggested. There are so many reasons why I LOVE my Alberg 30. One of them is that she has enough wood trim and details to be attractive, but not so much as to become my MASTER of slavery over a continuum of wood maintenance.

If you like the white appearance of firbeglass coamings  of the same period, Star Board is available in thicknesses to replicate the Alberg 30 Coamings. The original coamings don't have to be all that structural. The major stress would be from the winches and they are mainly supported by their own towers. I believe that Star board would be strong enough. If you wish the wood look then I wonder if a product like Plasteak comes thick enough. I have heard though that Plasteak is almost as expensive as the teak it is substituting.

Many have replaced their toe rails with Plasteak with good results. A MAJOR advantage is that the Plasteak will conform to the curve of the toe rail without having to steam or splice pieces together.

I would say that making the modification as you originally discussed would reduce the value of the boat to someone who was looking specifically for an Alberg 30. I also believe as others have suggested that your "fix" might cause more maintenance problems down the line, let's say in six to ten  years or so.

Michael #133