[Public-List] water pump speed seal what is the consensus

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Tue Jun 12 08:26:40 PDT 2012

Jeff,

My understanding of this product is that it is not a new pump. It is an end plate which is designed to be easier to remove and service and a replaceable thrust surface for the impeller which is to be more efficient and durable.

I have not used this product. I can see that it might be an improvement over the original which is normally reliable. Mentally, I put this product in the same category as the ceramic dripless shaft seal.

A design improvement which may prove to be less maintenance because it is more durable .............but the original design is well tested and provides excellent service if attended to with some occasional inspection.  Which is always a good idea for your systems on any boat.

Others have pointed out that when ceramic shaft seals do fail they usually do so catastrophically and with no recourse. The original packing gland if it fails could be repacked while out at sea to prevent the boat from sinking, this is not possible if the ceramic seal  should come apart.

Michael #133