[Public-List] sailing without an engine

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Jun 28 04:28:17 PDT 2012

    Obviously people sailed without engines for centuries, but after the
1840s sailing ships were routinely towed into and out of harbors by
steam tugs. Hundreds of years ago there was (1) no option and (2) no
marinas with slips packed tightly together. Just as I would not sail
today without radio or life jackets, I would not without an engine.
Maybe purely deep-sea sailing, looking for readily available and open
harbors only at each end, but engineless sailing to me is unsafe and
meaningless hair-shirt wearing.
  - Gordon White, Deltaville, VA    Brigadoon II