[Public-List] Hull Painting

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 1 08:24:56 PST 2012

Jonathan

A couple of things to consider...

* primer - since your are going over virgin (old) gel coat, there will be a
zillion tiny pin holes in the surface. Primer, multiple coats, fine sanding
between will fill those pin holes.

* single part paints, while easy to use, do not have pigment throughout the
entire thickness of the paint. Two-part paints do.

* using two-part paints - humidity is a big factor. It will cause your paint
job to 'flash' (dull finish). Avoid painting early in the morning or later
in the afternoon, because dew can ruin your paint job.

* consider some of the water-based two-part paints. They are less hazardous
to use and have come a long way for ease of application, appearance and
durability.