[Public-List] Hull Painting

randall weatherspoon rlwspoon at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 4 11:35:19 PST 2012

I have just painted Marisel with Interlux - Brightside, roll & tip.

Took the hull down to the gel coat, primed, and did the first coat.

Be sure to tip the primer - otherwise it will dry rough requiring more
sanding.

Have 3 people ---role, tip, mix/move stuff

First try looked great - a few imperceptible runs - my fault

But it was February and it didn't cure before the dew got it - start time is
critical- the dew made it dull with no gloss - it outlined the cockpit
lockers perfectly ( condensation due to temp inside lockers - who would have
thought that the lockers would be that different )and lazeret at the end on
the sides, the stern was fine and the bottom under lockers was ok -side
forward and bow looked like it had been sprayed. Will wait for April-need
three days where is above- over 80 deg at 10:00 --- took about 75-90 minutes
to do one coat--

I mixed one quart with 10% thinner and I made it all the way with ~5' linear
at the bow left ~25 ft2 left - so mix a small amount and use for next coat
---- in April.

Interlux said it will take 3 quarts for one coat unless I misunderstood -all
the yard guy's said you should do it in one qt. - a little more for the
primer because you want it thick. I did a qt per side.

$95.00/qt  at West - very pleased - easy overall (with exception of sanding)
- Paper is most important - a guy at the yard had some special order paper
~80 grit -cut like 40 - but left smooth-great stuff.

Not counting yard and paper ---and learning mistakes - with above info you
should be less than $450.00 plus labor. Since I did myself I feel like I can
refresh with a coat if needed next time out-- $100.00.

Don't mix one part and two part systems.

I talked to a friend and he said sea fog can get you up north even if you
are in a barn. I'm in St Petersburg Fl. - humidity is critical--

Hope this helps - Randy - Marisel #385

I have a few pics if someone wants to contact directly or telecom--