[Public-List] inner staysl shown on original Whitby Brochure??

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Mar 9 05:27:34 PST 2012

Good morning -

Do you folks in the Cheasapeake fleet use spinnaker staysails?  They're
pretty much out of favour here in Ontario in all classes.   I have one and
occasionally use it but it's main benefit seems not to be discernable added
thrust, but rather a psychological effect on foes.   In SURPRISE we took to
calling it 'the weapon', and would have over-loud and contrived
conversations between cockpit and foredeck about 'should we set the weapon'
when racing in close company...and enjoy the nervous glances our foes would
be giving us.

We've found that the performance envelope of this sail is very narrow.  It
only draws well in the vicinity of reaching, and is utterly useless broader
reaching and running.  Close reaching with the spinnaker pole just off the
forestay it starts bothering the spinnaker.

I don't think its a useful sail for racing - anyone else have any opinions?

Gord #426 SURPRISE