[Public-List] inner staysl shown on original Whitby Brochure??

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Mar 9 08:31:47 PST 2012

Hello Don -

You're correct, the issues between the staysail and the spinnaker will get
worse if the intermediate sail is set on the forestay as would be the case
if a smaller jib were used as a spinnaker staysail.  The thing is if you get
the staysail's luff closer to the 'chute, that's not a good thing.

Back in the early '60's people were playing with divided foresail
combinations but the practice has died out.  In very large boats it can work
but generally not in boats under 40'.

Ah, the old Whitby Folkboat vs International Folkboat thing.  Yes, Kurt
built some with masthead rigs.  I've never sailed one but imagine the larger
genny was a good thing.   I reckon some of the Folkboat's incredible
pointing ability was compromised, but on all other points of sail I'm sure
it was an improvement.   But of course one cannot consider the masthead
boats were 'real' Folkboats.

And THAT reminds me of the first time I drove a Mazda Miata.  I have owned
an MGB for 27 years.... When I drove the Miata I was astonished at it's
nimblness and smooth power.  All the gauges worked, the engine idled, there
were no funny burning odours and it's owner proudly told me he intended to
drive it all year round.  I thought to myself "so this is what MG was trying
to create.."

But then I thought, what's the point?  Nothing to worry about, nothing to
tinker with, no awkward and/or dangerous characteristics to proudly endure.
I'll keep the MG...

Gord