[Public-List] re-engineering

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Fri Mar 9 19:00:13 PST 2012

Hey David, Seems like the primary requirement would be to transfer the load from the staysail through the deck to the hull, in a manner similar to how the backstay chainplate affixed to the transom - stay away from attaching the forestay to the deck altogether- just pass through it to a structural attachment bonded to the Hull, somehow.

one could do that by passing the load to a bolt/ backing plate/ tensioning rod drilled through the bow down near the water line, then running up to the bobstay fitting thru the deck...

Alternatly, Jack Giles designed the Vertue class yachts with an inner forestay that led from upper spreaders to the bow fitting.  something similar on A30's would alleviate modifying the deck, but probably require adding double spreaders to the mast.

Glenn P

Sent from my iPad