[Public-List] Seacock Advice

Dennis K. Biby sailor at aweigh.com
Tue Mar 13 17:21:10 PDT 2012

Ahoy Chris,

For 19 years I maintained that seacock on my Pearson 35.  When I
bought her, the surveyor overlooked that the seacock was frozen and
loose in the hull.  I hauled a week after closing on the boat - a
reason that I take surveyors with a grain of salt.

Clean the seacock, lightly polish with emery cloth if needed, and
grease (I used a white lithium grease).  Tighten to minimize drips.

On my Alberg 30, I replaced the factory head overboard valve with a
bronze ball valve.   Works fine, but cost a pretty penny and required
a special order due to its odd size.

Dennis
s/v Ferrity