[Public-List] Bilges and Hull Painting

Don Lang potatosailor at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 19:33:51 PDT 2012

On my boat the ballast pig seemed to be surrounded by sand.
So After I had dug out all I could and had the pig cleaned up well I bought a small bag of fine playground sand from the local hardware store and poured that into any gaps I had tween the pig and the hull. After that I used west system epoxy and laid in several layers of bi-axial glass and mat rolling it a little ways up the hull. Added and glassed in the sole partitions and holding tank and topped it all with two part Pettit Protect (the stuff seems tough as nails when cured), makes for a water tight, easy to clean compartment.

Heres a link to what it looked like with the ballast exposed before glassing.
http://alberg30.blogspot.com/2008/06/exposing-ballast-pig.html

Cheers, Don