[Public-List] Topping lifts

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 05:13:07 PDT 2012

David,

I have a similar arrangement to yours. I have to go forward to adjust the
topping lift. What I did was, cleat off the end of the topping lift so it is
loose when the sail is up, but I tied a loop in the line part way up the
topping lift that I slip over the cleat to hold the boom at the proper
height when the sail is down. So every thing is pre-adjusted and I never
un-cleat the topping lift. When I haul up the main, I cleat the main, adjust
the luff tension with the 5-part cunningham, and slip the loop off of the
topping lift cleat. When lowering or reefing the main, I reverse the
process. It only takes a second. I never adjust the topping lift while
sailing. I do, however, adjust luff tension frequently for wind condition
and different points of sail. The cunningham has a long tail, so I can
adjust luff tension from the cockpit.