[Public-List] Sail track rivets on mast - SS Machine screws

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Mon Mar 26 10:07:40 PDT 2012

We went 316 SS Machine screws on Sunstone, an A-37, Great Lakes boat. Same
mast manufacturer, when we did a major overhaul of the rig. Used Sikkens
291, now called something else, but the adhesive version. Felt locktight
might be too corrosive, TefGel being non adhesive at all. Didn't want the
machine screws to work loose. So far, no problems - the work was done at
Klacko Spars in Bronte Ontario back in 1997.

Pulled a couple of machine screws to check, after acetoning out the holes,
no whitish aluminum oxide present, looked like the threads had been cut
yesterday. Then rebedded them with more Sikkens. None are loose.

Haven't taken the boat offshore in the ocean yet, but given the salinity of
the upper Chesapeake, I imaging it would be just fine.

Danny Klacko recommended this approach - he does great work and knows his
stuff.

Hope this is a help

John