[Public-List] Mast Cleats -how many

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Sun May 27 16:54:13 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious about how many cleats everyone has at the base of
their masts. I've just finished repainting my mast, and need to attach
new cleats.
I have (had) 8 cleats within the first two feet of my mast.  Two 6
inch cleats for the main & jib halyards, a little 4 inch exactly aft
used for a downhaul.  But them I have 4 more 5 inch cleats just under
the halyard cleats. I can't for the life of me remember if I ever used
them for anything meaningful. I use one to tie off the flag
halyard..but that's all I can remember. I haven't flown my spinnaker
yet, would the four 5 inch cleats be for spinnaker halyard & toppings
etc??

Here's a picture from a few weeks ago before I removed the cleats:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/n1kzcEoV-osm5SlafD8Xd9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

If anyone is interested, here's a few pics of the setup I used to paint:

https://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie/May222012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Essentially, I removed all of the hardware which was not easy. I
stripped the old paint, filled any unneeded holes with thickened
epoxy, then washed and sanded to 150 grit. Washed again with soap and
water scrubbing with a brown 3m pad. I then gave it a quick wipe to
dry then applied Alumiprep...rinsed, then Alodine..then rinsed again.
Once dry, I started in with the coats of two-part primer. For final
paint, I've got 5 coats of System Three's two part LPU. Since it has
been so warm, the paint was tricky to apply via rolling & tipping.
After the 4h coat I lightly sanded before the final coat.

All in all not as bad as I thought. Now to put everything back on .

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie

--