[Public-List] Holding tank installation

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu May 3 10:09:43 PDT 2012

Stephen,

On 5/3/12 12:39 PM, Stephen Gwyn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm installing a holding tank. I've read the instructions at:
> http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Head/RaritanNewer/
> I have a few questions for anybody who has followed them
> and particularly for George, who wrote them in the first place.
>
> - How well has the PVC pipe lasted? Pretty attractive since
> it's cheap and very smell resistant, but it's supposed to be
> bad on boats due to flexibility concerns. How long has it lasted?

The PVC pipe has shown no problems. It's completely free-floating, with
hose at all connections, so the lack of flexibility has not been a problem.

> - In running the plumbing from under the V-berth to the head
> compartment, did you drill holes or in the main bulkhead or
> use the "secret" compartment behind the liner?

I used the holes in the bulkhead that the previous owner drilled to
install the Mansfield treatment system. The downside of my installation
is that the PVC pipe is horizontal or slightly uphill where it heads
toward the holding tank. This leaves a significant amount of liquid to
be held out by the joker valve.

If I were to do it again, I would get the up-hill plumbing as quickly as
possible so that it would drain from that point to the tank.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org