[Public-List] Manifold petcock Atomic 4

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sun May 20 17:59:54 PDT 2012

Ron

A couple things that you need to be aware of.  Now that you have knocked the
crud out of the manifold, there will be more water pressure, the crud was
acting as a plug.  While I appreciate the reference to Boat Life, this area
really calls for a high temperature sealant.  Boat Life wouldn't do the job.
Many engine manufacturers use epoxy to seal fittings on the manifold and I
have had it recommended to me by several mechanics while I was either
servicing my engine or doing a repower and had to change fittings on the
manifold.  JB Weld was one of the more commonly recommended ones.  While it
is a pain to remove if you have to, it can be done.  Some serious heat and
steady pressure.  Also the threads on the hole are NPT not NPS.  Don't get
carried away with recutting the thread - just clean and deburr.

A side note for Yanmar GM Series owners.  The same crud build up happens
inside the mixing elbow where the discharge water hits the exhaust.  It can
be enough to restrict or even stop the cooling water flow causing
overheating.  This applies whether you have a heat exchanger or not.  The
quick cure when you are on a cruise is to pull the water nipple and ream out
the crud with a fine screwdriver.  Then pull and inspect the mixing elbow
when you get home.

Jim Davis
Privateer Isa Lei

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when
the baby gets hold of a hammer."
Will Rogers