[Public-List] What size fitting for new teak cap rail

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Tue May 22 21:13:47 PDT 2012

hello all,

I am wondering what size screws to use to fasten a new teak cap rail onto the bulwarks I replaced my old toe rail with?

the new bulwarks are 3 3/4" high, 11/8" thick, and I have milled some 12' teak boards into 5/8 x 2" cap rails.  the problem is teak is not very bendy so doesn't accept the curvy lines of the Alberg 30 very well, particularly amidships, it twists and jumps  up and turns over pretty easily because of stress in the wood fibers,  and fractures and breaks if bent to much,,, so lots of stress along the grain of the wood.

I  steam bent the milled pieces to mitigate the curve of the hull pretty well, but am  concerned about what size wood screw to use to fasten the cap rail down onto the bulwarks.   I have done one segment of cap rail with #8 x 11/4" wood screws, leaving about 7/8" embedded in the bulwrk and the top portion of the screw countersunk half way into the 5/8 cap. But the # 8 screws seems a little puny!

if  I use a larger counter sunk  woodscrew, say a #10 would that weaken the cross section of wood across the cap rail to much at each screw,  (12 to 16" spacing along the rail) or if I stay with the smaller #8 screw, will that be to little holding power once the ocean slams into the already spring loaded teak rails??

I think I am inclined to go with a larger #10 screw, but would appreciate any advice (tomorrow I install the second length)

P.S.  Also, thoughts on screwing and glueing the teak more or less permanently to the bulwark with epoxy, or just bed it with dolphinite bedding compound... The bulwarks are sapelle, a form of African Mahogony,  hence susceptible to rot at some point..

thanks much!

Glenn P.
dolce 318

Sent from my iPad