[Public-List] Rudder post stuffing box

vmarmei vmarmei at axis-design.org
Wed May 23 12:32:24 PDT 2012

YES....
The A-30 without water in the front end is slightly tail heavy...I
just changed my rudder post stuffing box stuffings. Put 4 coils @
5/16" square. Nut size 2-1/8. Made wrench with an offset handle. Cut
a 5x8 inch hole in the cockpit floor (1 inch thick) 3 inches from the
rudder housing in cockpit . Will fabricate a lid flush with the
floor...screwed in and caulked water tight.
When counter nut is loose ...you can unscrew the main nut by hand.
First clean the rudder shaft with emery paper. My shaft is 1" dia.
and seems to be of copper (or red brass)
When stuffing box is open hardly any water comes in.....nothing like
being in a big blowing storm....where we had water up to our knees.
Good luck and good sailing
Villo A-30 Canada
PS: Buy yourself one of those small Cork-screws to pull the old
stuffing out 6.00$ here .....well worth the hassle.....also good to
poke in your ears and nose after the job.