[Public-List] Velcro Beach, FL 11/27/2012

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 30 18:24:42 PST 2012

The cruiser's name for Vero Beach because it is easy to get stuck here.
This is also the first WiFi we have really had since South Carolina.

Since our stop at Port Royal, SC we have been making miles and taking
advantage of the tides.  It seemed that we were able to pretty much catch
favorable currents most of the time and for the real shallow spots hit them
at or near high tide.  We anchored out every night with the exception of one
night at Saint Augustine where we took on fuel and water and spent the night
on a mooring.  Generally the winds weren't too heavy and there wasn't any
rain.  That said the nights got rather chilly and we continued to use the
fireplace until St. Augustine.  Normally for an hour in the morning while we
are getting ready to start moving.

We had one scare that almost finished our trip.  We had just crossed the St.
Johns River and were approaching the McCormick Bridge when we saw standing
waves at the bridge.  It was too late to try and turn since the waterway is
rather narrow.  Sandy was driving and I was at the throttle when we went
under the bridge with RPM's that give us 7.5+ knots.  The turbulence was
unbelievable and the current actually stalled forward motion for an instant.
Our bowsprit almost hit the bridge which could have dismasted us.  A trawler
behind us put out a warning about the current, then complimented our
seamanship for being able to maintain control.  He also said that was the
worst current he had ever seen or experienced (I fully agree with his
assessment).  He later passed us and reported the conditions at the next
three bridges.

We will be here for at least two weeks.  Sandy flew back to Annapolis for
some pre-Christmas time with her family.  Jazz and I are remaining in Vero
catching up on maintenance.  Then when Sandy gets back we will move down to
the Lake Worth area and wait for a weather window to cross.

Jim Davis
Privateer Isa Lei

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay the price.

Sun Tzu