[Public-List] Port and starboard navigation lights.

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 05:56:30 PST 2012

Stephen

On Gilleleje #505, I installed an Aqua Signal 25 red/green on the bow pulpit
and ran the wires inside of the tubing. I did this many years ago and it has
worked out fine. The lights are 'out front' so never need to worry about
blocking them with sails etc. I did the same to the stern light. On some of
the older boats the lights were mounted on the cabin top. These were deemed
illegal because they were covered by sails and could not be seen when the
boat is healed. On the latter boats the lights were mounted on blocks
forward by the chocks as mine were. I re-purposed those pads and on the
starboard side used it for a deck wash-down fitting and the port is used as
a mount for a standup roller furling guide block.

As for mast lights...I think the best light at the spreaders is a combo
steaming/deck light made by Forespar...
http://www.forespar.com/products/sail-combination-deck-bow-light.shtml. It
has a regular bulb for steaming but it is only on when the engine is running
so there is no need for an LED here. It has a halogen bulb to light up the
deck, but is seldom used and then for only short periods, so no LED required
here. It is a vast improvement over the 'headlights' mounted on the
spreaders because it is blocked from view in the cockpit and protects the
skipper from night blindness.

Recently I purchase a 2NM USCG approved LED 360 degree masthead (anchor)
light for the masthead. It only draws .08A so you can leave it on for weeks
if needed. This is were an LED is really needed.
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/light-led-all-around-wht-4-fixed-2-nm-744370-/4,51200.html