[Public-List] Warning about bulb pump in Atomic 4 fuel line

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Sun Oct 14 12:21:37 PDT 2012

Hello,

Don Moyer recommends an outboard-type squeeze bulb in the Atomic-4 fuel
line, and I have found it useful for pressurizing the system to check
for leaks, etc. I mounted it between secured segments of fuel line, with
very little hose force on the bulb. However, yesterday, when I turned on
the fuel valve, I found that it dripped fuel because one of the nipples
had broken. Luckily, just starting this year, I am in the habit of
turning off the fuel valve when I leave the boat (after my float got stuck).

It seems that just one season of vibration caused this failure. So at
this point, unless I find a bulb that will accept brass nipples, I'll
live without it. I would recommend that anyone with a plastic bulb of
this sort, especially in a gas line, keep a very close eye on it.

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of th Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

dans at stmktg.com
mobile: +1607-592-8012

Strategic Marketing Associates
403 Highgate Road