[Public-List] Paul Vibert Mast Repair, Help Needed.

Kirk Little kirkalittle at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 04:49:50 PDT 2012

Well here is a chance to put the list to a very good use helping Paul
out.  Here is the most recent email asking for some advice from the
list;

<<<<<Am having difficulty finding a replacement mast but was thinking...

Do
 you think it would be possible to make a temporary hollow stick using
lumber (ie. 2x6), glue, and a ton of screws.  It would need only be
about 26 feet or so and would only be for the run to South Africa under
reduced sail.  I would put additional shrouds on it to increase it's
integrity or perhaps even a second pair of spreaders as well.

Would
 you please run this by some of the folks in the association who may be
more informed in this area than I and may be willing to offer
suggestions or insight.  Keep in mind that I have crude materials and
rudimentary tools so there will be no smooth planed edges and I suspect
that I may not even be able to find the proper glue nor clamps.

Please get back to me when you can.

Paul

P.S.  The wooden stick need only last 14 hundred miles.>>>>>

For the sake of timeliness I would suggest that any replies of value get
 emailed directly to Paul or if you post to the list should probably be
forwarded to Paul here (pvibert at yahoo.com) as well. I'm under the impression he may not subscribe.

Something else to consider regarding suggestions for the mast, Paul says
 he only needs to go 1400 miles, however that particular stretch of
ocean has reputation for being extremely nasty at times.  I personally
have at least three friends that were all rescued off the coast of S.A.
and that was in one season.  Dozens other that I didn't know personally
also called for assistance as well that same season.   Cornell's book
says "Several of those who have made this passage described it as the
toughest let of their entire voyage.  It is therefore essential to
prepare the boat thoroughly for this passage".  Then when finally
closing on the coast he will be crossing the Alguhas current which will
likely be running up to 3 or 4 kts with real possibilities of strong
wind on tide.  Just some things to consider when making any suggestions
here, it can be temporary, but it has to be strong.

Thanks. -Kirk