[Public-List] website (was: Circumnavigations)

j_l_brown j_l_brown at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 20 11:49:55 PDT 2012

Lightweight and low bandwidth is always ideal, the ease of receiving by email is not to be dismissed.  I expressed the issues I find with email vs forum.  I learned some interesting things from the discussion.

If email is preferred so be it, any single location is better than ending up with multiple.

I would still like to help.  What can I do to help with the site?
  I wouldn't mind adding some info on the projects I've done over the past couple months.  I have a lot of photos.

Jeremy

from Samsung MobileGeorge Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org> wrote:Kris,

On 10/20/12 11:07 AM, Kris Coward wrote:
> If something like this were to go ahead, could I ask that any new site
> maintain the existing site's commitment to keeping things
> lightweight/low-bandwidth? I frequently find myself looking to use it
> from spotty marina/club wifi connections, on which many "more modern"
> sites can take ages to load (if they load properly at all). I'd really
> rather not find myself trying to fix something at some far-from-home
> marina, and be unable to to get a helpful picture to load because it's
> on a website that's wasting all my bandwidth on some useless AJAX
> widget. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one with such expectations.

I'm delighted to hear you say that. Low bandwidth usage has been one of
my design goals from the beginning, and is part of the reason the
website looks "dated" to some. (Another part is my limited skills at
visual design.) I'm glad that my attention to low bandwidth is appreciated.

  - George

   When I remember bygone days                         George Dinwiddie
   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I loved were not yet dead,           http://www.Alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.                          also see:
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash     http://idiacomputing.com