[Public-List] Circumnavigations; Entry in CBAA Handbook?

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Sun Oct 21 13:46:56 PDT 2012

Hi Michael,

I think its a wonderful idea to honor circumnavigators who have taken A-30's around the world! it is a special feat worthy of distinction.

personally I cringe at the notion that only those who cross some arbitrary antipodal point, or other geometric anomaly in their voyage are "true" circumnavigators.  I've always thought circumnavigation involved crossing many oceans to circle the globe, by whatever whatever ports of call one wished to visit, then after exploring foreign lands, continuing onwards to whence you first departed.   striking a great circle route is only relevant if one is an Anglophile following the tradition of Rule Britania  from some Port in the northern hemisphere!  I amuse myself occasionally by wondering what rules of navigational  etiquette  we would insist on if by some geologic accident, the British Ises had been placed in the vicinity of say, Madagascar, rather than the North Sea. No doubt the sailing elite would now insist that circumnavigation be considered only as doubling the southern capes!

BTW, I was astounded to learn of the Alberger who circumnavigated in the 80's, and of the Canadian sailor now enroute.  with Yves and Kirk, they form a truly remarkable class of sailors.  By all means we should have a place to recognize the accomplishments of these voyagers and their boats.

actually it would be great if the A-30 web site had a page devoted to this group.  maybe even include a map of the world show each circumnavigator's route.  only a small handful of people ever see the handbook, yet I read recently,over 2 billion people have web access.  Who knows what future achievements a site like this might inspire.

Cheers,
Glenn P.
Dolce 318

Sent from my iPad