[Public-List] Sealants

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Fri Oct 26 13:07:27 PDT 2012

Hi Randy, I second Georges comment regarding double SS hose clamps on the stuffing box. I think most surveyors will say this is the way to go. If you contemplate taking it apart every year or so, maybe smear the inside of the rubber hose with a bit of marine grease to ease installation and disassembly.

I use dolphinite bedding compound when I installed new thru hulls over the last couple of years. First started using it with wood boat repair years ago, but continue to use in most any bedding job on glass boats. The stuff works great for any bedding application. never hardens, never leaks, and never fails. I've taken up old decking and pulled old parts apart that were bedded with dolphinite 30 years previous and found it to be in good condition and some places still pliable. Great stuff, but definitely not an adhesive- so depends on a firm matting surface to remain intact, E.G. formulated as a bedding compound. Also cleans up very easily with a bit of thinner and a rag.

Having said that, I also use 4200 for sealing deck opening around my chainplates - where they emerge through the deck. 4200 is similar to 5200 but cures completely in 24 hours and sets up in 10 minutes or so. I've had the occasoinal deck leak through the chain plate deck joint ever few years, but clean the surface and smear a bit of new 4200 over top of the old and it seals nicely. Mostly I use 4200 because it is fexible and stays attached to the chain plate/thru deck cross section.

Glenn
Dolce #318