[Public-List] Rudder stops and stern tubes.

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Fri Oct 26 23:46:29 PDT 2012

Hi Kirk,

Very good questions. I hope others on the list will add some more knowledgeable comments as I missed my opportunity to head into the Pacific and follow you around this summer and but do intend to start out next spring. Would like to have the shaft log thing nailed down with certainty before then.

I've wondered about the stern tube setup myself, when I replaced it 6 years ago. It still concerns me as I dont yet know the what is the best overall fix. When I bought Dolce, I did use 5200 to rebed ( stern tube and rudder post) at the time and it still seems good as new today. I did remove ALL the old grey putty and replaced the putty with 5200 to act as both adhesive and as a sealant. Actually used 5200 in two or three applications over a week to fill in the entire void in the prop shaft where the old one and putty used to be. after one application cured a bit for a couple of days, I used more, eventually filling the entire void throughout the full length of the rudder tube inside the hull. So far it seems to beholding and does not leak, except through the packing gland.

As to glassing it in, I do not believe that is a viable idea. My rudder post was glassed in and it spun out and broke loose when I tried to open the packing nut on the inside end. It was already leaking at the time and my attempt to renew the gland material resulted in complete failure. Not good if one where out in the middle of the ocean. so I ended up taking the assembly out and reinstalling and rebedding with liberal amounts of 5200 on the outboard side, then added massive fiberglass reinforcement inside the hull when I pyut everything back together. I reasoned the 5200 would seal the rudder tube from water entry, and the FG reinforcement would add strength and rigiditi from the inside to keep it from twisting and breaking loose. so far, it does not leak as it used to when there was nothing but putty and a smaller bit of glass work holding it in place.

I have come to learn two things about glassing in packing glands from that experience: 1) the fiberglass work will break loose when torqued or hit with a sharp striking blow such is in grounding and as will epoxy filler, and 2) a fiberglass bound will leak. Water will work its way between the glass and the metal tubing, as FG does not bond chemically with the metal, mearly coats it, and 3) 5200 on the outside ( to seal water out) and massive FB buildup inside the hull to hold the assembly in place seems to be a good one-two punch solution. So I like 5200 for the adhesive and flex/shock absorption properties in the stern tube and rudder tube. 4200 is even better as it sets up in 24 hours where as 5200 is slow curing over a week. Use the "permanent" bound grade material.

Not sure why your prop hits the rudder. mine does not. so maybe your prop is set to far aft on the prop shaft, or the rudder aperture isnt big enough, or maybe the prop diameter is a bit oversized?? I think my prop is in the neighborrhodd of 3 bladed 12" diameter. Be interesting if you could post a picture for the list to look at, as i know others have said there are several different rudder styles over the years.

Best of luck with your repairs!

Glenn
Dolce #318