[Public-List] (no subject)

David Van Denburgh denburgh at andrews.edu
Tue Apr 30 11:40:54 PDT 2013

Dwayne,

It sounds like you have an ablative paint. Most ablatives tend to build up over time. If you're having widespread adhesion problems, and you have a thick buildup of paint, I'd say it's time to take it back down to well-adhered material and then add your topcoats.

Sanding ablative paints is nasty. I recommend a quality paint scraper - it works better and faster, creating less mess.  I scraped the old ablative off our Cape Dory 36 (down to the barrier coat) several years back before repainting with VC-17 (we're Lake Michigan sailors).

Good luck,

David

Message: 7