[Public-List] Tank #2 Issue is resolved

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Aug 20 08:10:11 PDT 2013

Hello gang.

This morning I had tank 2 sucked dry at the marina.  The problem wasn¹t
water in the fuel....it was a bit of fuel in the water.  There were many
gallons of water in the tank.

It transpires that the filler hose had come detached from the deck plate,
which was having problems of it¹s own and had become loosened from the deck.
Every time there was water on the deck, some went around the deck plate into
the boat...and some of that water went into the tank.

I now have a new deck plate with a full length spigot under it assuring a
good connection with the filler hose.  The tank was refilled with a dose of
fuel line antifreeze in it to absorb what water we didn¹t suck out....and
the engine runs happily on it now.

As usual with such issues, there wasn¹t one problem, but several with each
masking the ones behind.  The first indication of trouble was chronic
stalling on either tank.... That was cured with regard to tank 1 by
retightening all fuel line connections to stop air embolisms from forming.
That success fixated me on air embolisms being #2¹s issue, but it turned out
to be a separate issue.

The only problem now is that tank 2, which is a saddle tank, is now full and
heavy ­ something I never have unless we¹re cruising.  We¹re racing tomorrow
night....

Well I guess there¹s always something to complain about....

Gord #426 Surprise