[Public-List] Rudder fell off!

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Thu Aug 8 23:31:37 PDT 2013

Kristian,

Send me your mailing address and I will mail the drawing to you.  i might be able to take a digital image and email, but it may be easier to see the original ljne drawing.  Is not full scale, but will have all the pertinent measurements to lay out the rudder.  You will need to measure the width of your existing trailing edge on your boat - where the rudder mates up to the hull to establish width, then taper the trailing edge in foam core, then glass over the whole thing.  Not that difficult to do once you get into it.

I used aluminum bronze 1" round stock, replaced the original silica bronze stock. i would not under any circumstances use stainless steel.  Stainless corrodes remarkably quickly in an aerobic environment e.g. Where no oxygen can get to the metal - as in the inside of the rudder where the rudder stock is glassed into the foam core - and can be at risk of failing where the stock enters the rudder, as many west coast california boat owners have found out to their dismay... You wont have any problems with silica or aluminum bronze stock.

Also with new stock, you can have a machine shop turn down the pin in the bottom end that fits into the shoe to 5/8" diameter, and drill out the shoe to accommodate the larger pin size.  I did this on Dolce and i feel I have a much stronger and more long lasting bearing surface with the shoe. There is plenty of material,in the shoe to accommodate a 5/8" pin.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad