[Public-List] Deck Painting

Glenn brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Aug 21 22:34:52 PDT 2013

Jim,

I refinished my decks with Kiwigrip last year and have a great result.  Two things to consider: first paint or regell coat the existing deck to match the color of the Kiwigrip you wish to use.  Kiwigrip will not mask the underlying color, the underlying deck color will show through.  So paint the base color same as the  Kiwigrip.   Also, i discovered by accident that Kiwigrip lifts right off with heat. I accidentally put the hot blower nozzle of a paint remover heat gun on the kiwigrip surface and it immediately lifted the deck covering right off.  Thats the only negative I know of.  Other than that its  really great stuff.  I masked an edge all around with masking tape, then pulled it off before the Kwigrip was dry, works great. The kwigrip roller makes the texture, it goes over the existing nonskid very well.

Re: two part paint, over several years  I have used Interlux toplac single part and also the Interlux two  part polyurethane to paint Dolce's decks and cabinsides and cockpit.  Their most recent formulation - last year- went dull and chalky and the horizontal surfaces seem to have milldewed over the winter - very disappointing.  Dont know if interlux changed their formulation, but I am very disappointed and can not recommend using the brand anymore.

From all accounts awlgrip is deadly toxic and requires professional respirator etc to apply.  I wonder if you  would be better putting new gell coat back on??

Other Albergers will know more about spider cracks.  i havent had many, just sanded down the surface a bit and brushed on new FG coating, then painted over.

Best regards,
Glenn Brooks
Dolce 318

Sent from my iPad