[Public-List] Is the mast beam glued in place?

Michael Connolly crufone at comcast.net
Sat Aug 31 10:15:11 PDT 2013

Jeff,

It is not glued to either the bulkheads or the cabin ceiling.  It is just bolted to the bulkhead and has fiberglass tabbing to the ceiling. As Glenn has mentioned there is more substantial resin fastening at the butt ends against the hull.

On my boat the bulkheads at the cap shroud chain plates are weakened with rot from water entering through the deck.  I would take the opportunity to check this on your boat after the mast beam is removed. I plan to increase the size of the mast beam to bulkhead bolts as well as use fender washers or even backing plates.  This follows the same advice on increasing the size of the chain plate bolts.

I am considering not reusing the two center bolts which pass through the mast beam.  Drilling a hole all the way through the mast beam at that point severely weakens it.  From my perspective the beam acts as a filled in I beam and a hole directly through the "web" of the I beam would not be a good idea. Some might suggest that the two through bolts prevent the mast beam from moving fore and aft. I believe that the tabbing to the cabin ceiling accomplishes this and that when I reinstall my re-laminated mast beam I could add a wooden trim piece Epoxied to the ceiling to also add resistance to fore and aft movement of the beam. Twisting of the mast beam can be mitigated by adding gussets or upright supports on the aft side of the main bulkhead, as many other owners have done before.

I agree with Glenn that the space between the cabin ceiling and the mast beam should be filled in either during or after the re-installation of the mast beam to eliminate any air voids in that area.

Good luck on your repair.

Michael #133