[Public-List] Rudder

Glenn brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Mon Dec 2 11:24:04 PST 2013

Bill,

i rebuilt my fiberglass rudder a couple of years ago, mainly because I didnt trust my 45 year old bronze rudder stock.  Turns out it was a needless worry, the bronze stock was as good as the day it was laid up inside the FG rudder blade.  i replaced the bronze stock anyway and reglassed the rudder back together just to have another 45 years of trouble free rudder.

Not sure what I would do in your case.  My guess is, If you glass over the wood it will probably become waterlogged behind the glass sooner than latter and the FG will eventually lift off, causing you to wish you 1)  Hadnt glassed it to begin with, or 2) replaced it with all new foam core and glass when you had the chance the first time around.  So,I think I am voting for a new fiberglass rudder blade!  Easy to say as I dont have to dothe work!!  Also I wonder if glassing over the wood will cause the wood to rot. Others on the list may have first hand experience.  Ive had a number of wood boats, but never used FG over wood, except for decks.

Glenn
Dolce 318

Sent from my iPad