[Public-List] Newbee Looking for help with rudder parts

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Dec 13 11:17:17 PST 2013

On 12/13/13 1:20 PM, Mike Lehman wrote:
> Brad
>
> Peter McEvoy was casting replacement shoes for the bottom of the rudder.
> You may want to check with him peter.t.mcevoy at gmail.com.
>
> For installing them, it is pretty straight forward. Remove all of the
> bottom paint from the fittings to expose the screws. Work the screws out
> and remove the remained of the fittings. The shoe at the bottom has a
> large bronze bolt that screws into the keel from the aft end and several
> small screws in the sides of the fitting. When replacing the bolts and
> screws be sure to use a good quality bronze not SS.  Use a bedding
> compound on the fitting when installing them, some folks like 3M5200
> (very strong adhesive) and some prefer 3M4200 (medium strength
> adhesive). If you get stuck...post to the list again.

I second these comments.
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/CreviceCorrosion/ shows what
happens to stainless steel in this usage.

Use 5200. You can always warm the shoe or gudgeon with a propane torch
when you need to remove it. The caulk turns to putty. (A trick I learned
from Bruce Rankin)

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org