[Public-List] Newbee Looking for help with rudder parts

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Tue Dec 17 13:52:31 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 04:06:36PM -0500, Gordon Laco wrote:
> Thanks Jeff -
>
> I think the split ones fit rudders that have large pintles built into them.
> Rather than a pin, there is an aperture whose mouth is crossed by a heavy
> shaft (the pintle) that is embedded in the rudder on both ends. You have to
> use gudgeons that can be opened.
>
> $600 is not bad for custom made fittings taking casting, vibro-polishing,
> fine polishing and machining into consideration.
>
> I make self steering vanes, and had a fellow getting hot with me over email
> last week over what I have to charge for them.  There are eleven castings in
> a vane... He thought I was 'greedy' for asking $4,500 for a complete unit
> ready to install.  He thought I should charge $1,500.  I tried to explain
> that machining the castings costs more than that....

But machining castings is easy and should be cheap. I mean castings
*always* cool evenly, and *never* have irregularities that crystallize
into carbides. You just have to enter a bit of gcode to blast your
endmill clear across them, confident that the cnc controller will take
care of the job for you, and that your tools won't get shattered by a
hard spot, nor will the impact of your tool with a hard spot jar the
workpiece loose, and throw off the positioning and alignment for the
remainder of the operation. I just don't understand why the machinists
get so fussy, and demand so much pay for such a simple job :P

</sarcasm>

-Kris

--
Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/