[Public-List] Re-Sealing the Deck to Hull Joint

Glenn brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Dec 25 16:12:19 PST 2013

Bob,  i found an easy way to scarf my bulwarks together was to use a cross cut saw to partially cut the eedgesof the gluing surface of the scarf then finish off with a new sharp chisel.  The key to a good scarf is a straight gluing surface and proper ratio between  8:1 up to 12:1 on the first piece, then measure whatever length of cut you have, and lay out the same  distance on the second piece.  cut with a good cross cut saw and chisel the two faces to mate with each other.  A good sharp 1 1/2" wood chisel will make a really clean edge with just a few minutes whittling, and enable you to cut the z ends in place.  If you do have any voids, use epoxy for the glue and thicken with silica or wood flour filler.  Thickened epoxy will fill the joint tight and be super strong.

When I replaced my toe rails I screwed and bolted the first piece inplace then scarfed the second without securing it to the deck.  Just Used C clamps and a bunch of 2x 3 plywood strips to clamp the joint tight.  Once the glue set up I could bend and bolt the scarfed section into place without worrying about the joint separating.

There are plenty of good videos on u tube about how to scarf wood, which will help explain how to layout the cut.  If you have any hesitation about cuttting, rip some 2 x3 stock out of an old 2x4  and make up a practise joint or two before cutting into  your teak.  With a good chisel, you will be surprised how easy it is to cut and fit the two pieces together.

Glenn B
Dolce 318

Sent from my iPad