[Public-List] Alberg For Sale on the Chesapeake!

Troy Farlow troyfarlow at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 12:34:18 PST 2013

Dear Alberg 30 Lovers,

After much consideration and tugging of the heart over what
to do, I have decided to sell my beloved Alberg 30.  She is a wonderful boat but I am simply going
in a different direction with my life now and it is just not feasible to keep
it and continue to dream of “one day” I’ll do this, “one day” I’m gonna do
that.  It is time to let someone else
take over this wonderful treasure and take care of her and bring her to the
next rung on the sailing latter of what she truly can be.  (With that being said, I don’t want to
completely give it away ;)).

Here’s the scoop in a quick nutshell and I am more than
happy to talk over the phone or email to any serious buyer, but again, here are
just some of the basics:

1963 Alberg 30 Hull #63.  28 HP Westerbeake Engine with only 140
hours!  Sails are good, Harken self
tailing winches, mast stepping, Profurl roller furling, jacks, bimmony cover,
etc, etc, etc.

With the basics out of the way, here is round two of my general
thoughts:  This boat is NOT a project
boat and yet it IS a project boat.  It
can be launched into the water and the engine cranked up and the new owner can
sail the very same day he/she buys it – and aside from the typical expenses of
sailing and a bottle of rum, be good to go!!!!
Seriously.  So, it isn’t a project
boat mechanically, etc.  On the other
hand, if someone wants to redo the entire paint job and money isn’t an issue
and wants to spend ten grand or twenty grand because he/she wants to place it
in the International Yacht Restoration Museum in Newport, RI, then he/she can
do that as well.  Teak needs to be
redone.  Does that stop one from sailing
the very same day you buy it?  Nope.  Does the teak need to be redone?  Yep.
So, in short, I am biased because of my love for the boat.  Also, a disclaimer: the latter group - the
restorers, the savers, the dreamers are the categories I fall into, hence, why
I am moving on to other dreams because this dream of making this the nicest
boat on the east coast is not coming to fruition because I am guilty letting perfect
be the enemy of good enough.  There,
that’s exhibit A of why I am selling the boat.

So, what does that mean:
I paid $9,000.00 for the boat a few years ago.  I have put another $3000 into it simply
tinkering and doing this and that and improving small things, nothing major,
but taking “my baby” in the right direction.
What this ultimately means is that this is a fantastic way for someone
looking to get into a classic boat, boats that run $20,000 and $30,000 on a lot
of the listings out there, to actually be allowed to pull this off for 1/3 of
that cost – and can sail it and have a blast the very first day!

So, that’s my only sales pitch.  I’ll stop there.  As you can tell, I don’t really want to part
with it – as I believe in the boat – but am sort of forcing myself recognize
reality.   It is time for someone else to
enjoy this gem of a sailboat.

Some rhetorical housecleaning in regard to other questions
any potential buyer might have:

Make me an offer.  I
just want it to go to a nice home! Somewhere near 10 would be nice (I’ve got 13
plus into it), but I’m not going to get wrapped around the axle about the
pennies.

Survey can be provided FREE of charge (it costs me almost
$700) to serious inquiries only (after you and I have talked on the phone a few
times and I can gauge your seriousness and am comfortable emailing it to you).

I’m shooting this email out today, Monday, February 18th,
President’s Day to the Alberg30.org die-hard Alberg-ers and by the end of the week,
if it hasn’t generated any leads through the Alberg30.org community, I’m going
to go to Plan B, so, if you think you are seriously interested, please give me
a call or email as soon as possible.  I
will work with any reasonable offer, so now is the time.

Plan B is to list it with a broker that is going to require me
to “at least” try and sell it for a few thousand dollars more in any final
sales price due to the broker’s fee that will be tacked on (I have a broker in
mind who is wonderful and we have talked and he is going to market it for me,
but we agreed that I should try this route first to the Alberg die-hards).  Again, a deal being made at this juncture for anyone
that wants to pull the trigger and get into a great sailboat for a great price –
that can sail on day one – is now rather than later.  I am looking to move this boat and again, will
entertain any sensible offer.

I can provide pictures as well upon request via email – but
preferable after we have had a chat on the phone once or twice.  Disclaimer: I am old fashion.  If you are serious about the boat, I’d like
to say hello, have a kind conversation, etc.
Craigslist spam and non-sociable Ebay sales over the years with one-line
emails have tainted me for longing for the old days of simply saying hello first
– and I’d like to know where the boat is going, again, wishing it to find a new
solid home to someone that appreciates it.

Oh, another positive: this boat is on the Chesapeake Bay!  It is not in Ontario, not in Texas, not in Oregon
or the Caribbean (no offense to you folks that are there!)  It is right here in your back yard, centrally located
on the east coast and again, ready to sail!

Thank you for your time and patience reading this email – and
your interest.  I can be reached any day
and anytime at (757) 414-3916 or via a reply back to this email (or a new email
to troyfarlow at hotmail.com).

And thank you in advance to the Alberg30.org site and site
administrators, etc, etc. for the lovely service.  I am enjoying being a member and read
everyone’s emails that come across every few days on this  email list.  They are very interesting and helpful a lot of
times.

Warmest regards,

Troy Farlow