[Public-List] Sitka Spruce Boom

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 1 10:18:35 PST 2013

Speaking of making booms.

I remember many years ago, when the much-used tunnel goove for the bolt rope in
my Sitka Spruce boom, started to allow the bolt rope to creep out of the groove
in strong winds. Being an architect, I went to my favorite architectural
woodwork shop requesting that they allow me to fix it.  At that time, I hasten
to add, I knew everything!.

I was advised tby the shop manager to rip the boom vertically down the center
which would reduce the much-used groove the thickness of the blade. I did that
with no problem, using the shop's huge saw. When I went to reglue the 2
sections, I started to use my Elmer's exterior wood glue together with about 3
or 4 clamps. The old German wood crafters sitting at lunch nearby, laughed at my
attempts and used their "Resorcinal" (sp?) glue and about 30 clamps or every few
inches apart. My labor and their smarts worked out well.

A few weeks later, I was sailing on a friends similar boat. He told me that he
also had recently re-glued his boom using Elmer's WHITE glue. Just about then,
it started to rain. As the water cascaded down the mainsail and into the recenty
re-glued bolt rope groove, the bolt rope began to "un-zip" the 2 boom sections
and we lost both the race and almost the boom.

Still reading the letters from Albergs wishing the club still had one. As one of
the young know-it-alls in the club said about our 1986 Hunter 34 replacing the
Alberg   "Ed, it's a fiberglass boat; it doen't need any maintenance!"

Ed Schroeder (formerly #303 Emotional Rescue)
I've been thinking of building a spruce boom.  I'll use the same cheek blocks
and eye straps as are on the aluminium boom I've got.

Gord Surprise 426