[Public-List] Stern squat.

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Feb 15 08:31:21 PST 2013

Hello -

I feel awkward recommending trim ballast...putting weight toward the ends of
the boat is so against text-book principals.

But with regard to the chain up forward; it's never moved.  It lays in a
compact pile and even pitching in a head sea hasn't stirred so far as we can
tell.  I reckon that potentially it could, but it hasn't.

We did have a tangle up once that we figure was caused by a pile of the
chain which formed toppling over.  We didn't hear it happen but the result
was that it wouldn't feed out until we'd sorted things out.

Gord #426 Surprise

On 15/02/13 11:18 AM, "j_l_brown" <j_l_brown at shaw.ca> wrote:

How were the ingots secured?  I'm a bit cautious of damaging the hull.

With
> batteries, ice box and holding tank all port, I have empty unused space to
> starboard, and weight there could possibly help trim the boat fore and aft and
> side to side as well.
I also have space between the traditional anchor locker
> bulkhead, and the half bulkhead I added forward.

Lead could be ok too, I was
> looking at bagged lead shot as one option(no hard edges, like soft weights for
> divers).
Would it need to be secured, any more than anchor chain is?

Concrete
> is cheap, less toxic and I could add steel punchings and essentially I'd have
> concrete in small(30lb) ingots, formed to the hull, isolated from it.
If cost
> were no object, I'd do the same as the concrete idea, but cast the chunks in
> bronze.

Maybe I could use a whole pile of galvanized chain (on sale it is
> cheaper than lead per lb) there instead as spares and ballast.
I suspect it
> would be noisy though.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original
From: David Tessier <dfjtessier at hotmail.com>
To:
Subject:
> [Public-List] Stern squat.

I looked at a certain pre-liner one-owner (if
> you count father, then son as one owner) A30 with turquoise topsides and a
> short-footed mainsail that lived up near Gord Laco on The Georgian Bay, as it
> is called on the old charts.  She had had a long  and perhaps distinguished
> racing career in the Toronto area.  During the several hours I enjoyed
> crawling all over her under her winter cover, I found a tidy little pile of
> lead (Pb) ingots up under the Vee berth, which I was told helped her racing
> trim whilst, I assumed, meeting the applicable one design rules.
I thought
> that I read somewhere that the squat stern trim of the A30 resulted from a
> misunderstanding (!) between the designer and the builder, along the lines of
> the rig (not fractional), size of mainsail (over large) and the use of iron
> (not lead) ballast.  Who knows!  I love our mystery lady all the same.
> suppose that my 90' of anchor chain in the bow is helping our fore/aft trim,
> perhaps partly compensating for my 205 lb weight in the cockpit.  And I have
> photographic evidence from MariAnne cove anchorage that shifting myself from
> cockpit to bow makes a discernable difference in trim, judging from the boot
> stripe.
Cheers,David TROIS BOULEAUX #319.
P.S.: Anyone chartered a sailboat in
> the Whitsundays?  We have lined one up for a week in March and would welcome
> any advice.
These
> businesses support your
> Association: