[Public-List] stern squat

David Gilbert bigkanu at rogers.com
Mon Feb 18 12:01:45 PST 2013

Thought I'd finally weigh in on the water tank issue. We have the
newer boat with the leaky inspection plate same as Gord's but we don't
fill the tank to the tippy top either. We don't race and our boat, in
our old age, is seldom under an extreme heel so it works fine. Each
spring I empty the tank which only has a bit of plumbing anti freeze
in it, then give the inside as far as I can reach, a rub down with
pure javex. A good rinse follows then another rub down with potassium
metabisulphite, a trick I learned in my home wine making. The potass.
metabi. neutralizes the javex but make sure you have good air
circulation. The City of Toronto uses this method in their water
treatment and there is no chlorine smell or flavour. A final rinse and
then fill. We also employ an in line charcoal filter. The floating
objects folk observed in their water is likely slime or mould which
forms in the hoses and if the javex doesn't get rid of it, the filter
certainly does. The tank water remains clear and potable all season.
Even with all this, we still don't drink the tank water but use it for
dish washing, cooking, coffee etc.
David