[Public-List] LED light bulbs?

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Feb 25 13:16:38 PST 2013

Hi,

Those funky light shades with the steering wheels take
normal household size screw bulbs, but of course 12 volts.
The size is known as E27 (E= Edison, 27 = size in mm)

You can find them pretty cheap on eBay from various
Asian sellers, or more expensive from North American
sellars. Search for something like:
LED E27 12V
The prices ranged from 3$ to 7$.

I bought a selection of bulbs styles last year, from
different Asian sellers. All worked. Shipping was free, but
all took a month-plus to arrive. None of the
ones I ordered was quite as bright as the fairly bright
incandescent bulb I've got installed on the forward
port bulkhead of the main cabin.  I've just done another
search, and I think I see some that might be brighter.

Some (but not all) have circuitry such that it doesn't
matter if you mix up the positive and the ground wires.

I've also bought two household lamps from Home Depot
with stainless steel lampshades and flexible necks.
Suitably mounted, they make excellent reading lights
and one of them can also be used to point at the galley.

SG

Stephen Gwyn                       | Tel: 1-250-363-3136
Canadian Astronomical Data Centre  | Fax: 1-250-363-0045
Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics | Cell: 1-250-885-6969
5071 West Saanich Road             | E-mail: Stephen.Gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Victoria, BC, V9E 2E7, Canada      | http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/