[Public-List] Painting over old "teak" plywood

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Feb 25 14:21:52 PST 2013

SURPRISE's were looking dark - it turned out to be some sort of black stuff
that seemed to be growing in the old oiled finish.  I'm trying not to say
'mold'.

I removed the darkness by sanding very lightly (it came off quite easily, in
fact it clogged up the sand paper very easily) then wiping with solvent to
clean the last bits and de-dust (and perhaps kill that stuff I don't want to
think was there).

I then gave the bulkheads one coat of matt varnish, which is quite thin and
soaked right into the wood.  I gave the solid teak trim work two coats of
gloss varnish.  I think the effect was quite good.  The whole shebang is
lighter and has that orange-y glow that I reckon the teak plywood had when
it was new.

Gord #426 Surprise