[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 2606, Issue 1

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Thu Jul 11 14:29:30 PDT 2013

Hello Greg,

My new mast head was fabricated at Port Townsend Rigging, Pt Townsend, Washington. It has three 3" delron sheeves inside the mast assembly on a common axle, each sheeve supported by a three part integrated aluminum bracket, and two external sheeves hanging one each port and stbd foward quarter of the mast each on separate U shaped brackets.   the internal sheeves take main halyard, jyb halyard and allow one spare halyard as a backup.  The external sheeves basically are set up for spinnaker halyards, although I sometimes use them for other purposes, including topping lift for a second spin pole when flying twin downwind jybs.

All halyards are external, cleated off at bottom of the mast.  The bitter ends of the spin halyards I shackle to eyes on the cabin roof, offset from the mast.  The mast is a little congested where the halyards cleat up, so am thinking about ways to add a pin rail to move some of the halyards off the mast.

The top of the mast head offers a fair bit of landscape for vhf antenna, weather station assembly, wind speed guage, wind indicator, tricolor/anchor light, and a block to run a SSB rope.

The uppers are mounted in the traditional fashion immediately below the mast head, but fore and back stay mount off new and very robust brackets at the mast head.

I also added a solent stay welded fitting near the mast head, adjustable baby stay adjuster at the bottom which shackles to the aft hole in the stem head.  i use this to fly twin down wind jybs and to fly a hanked on storm or  working jyb, without having to mess around dropping and hoisting a taped sail in nasty weather. So far it works great. The solent has its own halyard to avoid chafe on the forestay, so actually I guess I have six halyards on the mast. A bit of overkill, but lots of insurance!

The whole mast head thing is a welded fabricated unit, integral to the mast column.  So no screws or rivets to corrode, fallout etc.

The cost of the whole install was around $3500, including spreader reinforcements.  I thought about adding double spreaders, but ran out of time and money, so kept the original single spreader rig intact.

I have a couple of iphone images i could upload at some point. Just need to open a cloud storage account somewhere to store the images.

Be happy to answer any additional questions you might have.

Cheers
Glenn Brooks
Dolce # 318

Sent from my iPad