[Public-List] Lightning Ground

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Fri Jul 26 09:29:15 PDT 2013

There is nothing I hate more than being at sea in a lightning storm. Never
gets easier.

In fact I find it gets harder - just how many lives does this cat have left
?

That said, there is no consensus on whether to ground or not to ground.
Lightning does its thing and when yer number's up, its up.

Having a diesel aboard Sunstone (A-37) what I now do when lightning comes is
to strike all sail, send the crew below, put on my harness, turn on the
autopilot, take a position fix and start the engine. If hit, a diesel will
continue to run just fine. If its off, it may not start.

Below my good wife takes position fixes every 15 minutes and logs them.

If the VHF gets cooked, there's a chance the Cell Phone might work - and do
load the bugging out bag, if you don't carry one loaded all the time.

I sit as far from any metal in the cockpit as possible and repeat - "this is
my hobby and I do it for fun."

For those of a religious bent, I suggest a large thick volume of the King
James Bible, and sit on it to further insulate yourself from a lightning
strike.

For those who are agnostic, or Unitarians (which is about the same thing) a
large copy of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary will serve the same function ; )

Just remember - "this is my hobby and I do it for fun."

With any luck, you'll be ok.

Safe sailing gang

John