[Public-List] Lightning Ground

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Fri Jul 26 10:22:13 PDT 2013

I remember the last time I was out in a lightning storm with a bunch of
friends, I pointed out that the strip of steel on the stem is attached
to the bow casting, which is connected to the forestay, so if we're
struck, we should be prepared for the forestay to melt, and the jib to
catch fire. Also, the ground sheath on the coax leading up the the
antenna is almost certainly bonded (or easily shorted) to the ground on
the DC system, so the ground wires supplying the radio stand a decent
chance of catching fire (as does the radio), and neither the radio nor
the engine should be expected to work after a strike. Then I reminded
them that there's no such thing as an atheist in a storm, and invited
them to pray to anyone or anything that they could hope to keep us from
getting struck.

I suspect your masthead is similarly *ahem* grounded, so no point
fussing about with the keel (especially since it's already been pointed
out that the keel's encapsulated anyway).

Cheers,
Kris

Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/